Programs : Brochure
- Program Terms: Academic Year, Fall, Spring, Summer
The Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship Program offers awards for undergraduate study abroad and was established by the International Academic Opportunity Act of 2000. This scholarship provides awards for U.S. undergraduate students who are receiving Federal Pell Grant funding at a two-year or four-year college or university to participate in study abroad or internship programs abroad worldwide.
The Gilman Scholarship Program is sponsored by the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs of the U.S. Department of State. The Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs fosters mutual understanding between the people of the United States and the people of other countries to promote friendly, sympathetic, and peaceful relations. -From the Benjamin A. Gilman Scholarship website
Use of this Registration form: This "application" should be used in addition to your official Gilman scholarship application. This registration form is meant as a way for you to notify us that you intend to apply; this way, we can work with you to ensure you are eligible for the Gilman Scholarship and that you have completed all of the necessary items for your Gilman Scholarship application.
BE SURE TO COMPLETE AN OFFICIAL GILMAN SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION IN ADDITION TO THIS REGISTRATION FORM. The official Gilman scholarship application can be found on their website: Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship Program Website
This cycle encompasses the Spring, Summer, Fall, and Academic Year terms in the year following the deadline.
Application Cycle 2 - first Tuesday of March
This cycle encompasses the Summer, Fall, Academic Year, Winter Break, and Spring terms in the year following the deadline.
Steps to Apply:
1. Meet with an Education Abroad Coordinator to discuss your program options. Set up an appointment with your college coordinator on MyPlan and let them know you want to apply for Gilman. Selecting the RIGHT program that connects to your academic and career interests is key.
2. Register your intent to apply for the Gilman on MyWorld by clicking Apply Now below.
3. Review Gilman Essay Tips and attend the writing workshops hosted by Education Abroad.
4. Work with UNL’s Fellowship Advisors and the Gilman Education Abroad Team on your essays
5. Complete the official Gilman Scholarship application by 11:59pm on the deadline.
Meeting with the Education Abroad Office
We encourage you to work with the Education Abroad Office on your Gilman Scholarship essays to ensure that your application is as competitive as possible.
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|
|Fall||2023||03/09/2023 **||Rolling Admission||TBA||TBA|
|Academic Year||2023-2024||03/09/2023 **||Rolling Admission||TBA||TBA|
|Summer||2023||03/13/2023 **||Rolling Admission||TBA||TBA|
** Indicates rolling admission application process. Applicants will be immediately notified of acceptance into this program and be able to complete post-decision materials prior to the term's application deadline.
Indicates that deadline has passed