The Global Experiences Office (GEO), in partnership with the UNL Passport Office, and the Institute of International Education (IIE) will be giving away 125 passports to University of Nebraska-Lincoln students. Recipients of the 2022 IIE Husker Passport Giveaway will have the entire cost of obtaining a passport covered by the program. The cost of a passport is $180 (passport, application fees + photos).
To be considered for a free passport, you must be:
Priority is given to:
- a current UNL undergraduate student, actively enrolled in Fall 2022
- a U.S. citizen
- at least 18 years old
- applying for your first US passport (if you are renewing your passport, you are not eligible for this opportunity)
- if you have only ever had a passport card before, you are eligible for this opportunity
- first generation college students
- students who articulate financial need
- students who have two or more semesters remaining before graduation
- students who plan to participate in an education abroad program during their undergraduate career
Recipients will be selected based on meeting eligibility requirements and content of the brief
The application will open by Monday, August 1, 2022 and will close on Saturday, October 1, 2022 at 11:59 pm. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, and you are strongly encouraged to apply early for priority consideration.
You will be asked to answer the following questions:
We know the process and cost of obtaining a passport can be a barrier to going abroad. What does having a passport mean to you? What opportunities will this passport unlock? How will these experiences impact your education?
Please briefly describe any financial obstacles you have experienced that would make you a good candidate to receive a free passport.
Once you complete the online form, your information will be reviewed by GEO. You will receive an email by Tuesday, October 4 indicating whether you have been selected to receive a passport. If you are selected, you will receive detailed information regarding your next steps. Check your Huskers email regularly to stay up-to-date and meet very important deadlines.
Questions that aren't answered here?
- August 1: Application opens
- October 1: Application closes
- October 4: Emails sent to final awardees
- Mid-October: Welcome Session via Zoom for awardees
- Prior to appointment: Complete a "document check" with GEO
- October 24-November 9: Passport appointments at the UNL Passport Office
- February 1 or earlier: Receive your U.S. passport in the mail!
Please contact Angela Luedke at 402-472-5358 or firstname.lastname@example.org or Rebecca L. Baskerville at 402-472-6990 or email@example.com.